Featured Image: Aya Kuma
To our valued members and the photography community,
The global coronavirus pandemic is still rife within Australia and our thoughts are with AIPP members and wider communities in NSW, QLD, SA, and VIC who are all in various stages of enforced lockdowns. In light of this current situation, we write to you with an important two-part announcement about the 2021 APPA, AIPP Epson State Awards and AVPA Awards (‘AIPP Awards’ henceforth).
Part One: 2021 APPA + State Awards and AVPA Awards Deferred
AIPP Awards events rely on people being able to freely travel interstate to attend, judge, volunteer and celebrate together in-person – the heart of our awards events. Many of our members are restricted from travel or are uncomfortable to do so due to the effects of the global pandemic. As such, a practical decision has been made to defer AIPP Awards until March 2022.
This is a deferment – not a cancellation. As the 2020 Tokyo Olympics have run in 2021, so too will the 2021 AIPP Awards run in 2022. With summer weather and the vaccine roll-out continued, we look forward to a safer and more stable time with less restrictions in place. We want to provide as many members as possible a fair opportunity to be a part of our most exciting community event.
We are working diligently on the finer details and will release information as it is confirmed. Key take away points for now are:
- 2021 AIPP Awards have been deferred until March 2022
- Entries will open on Wednesday September 15th 2021 for an extended period, closing on Wednesday November 10th 2021 at 5pm AEDT.
- Print cases will be posted in February 2022, allowing entrants plenty of time to prepare their matted prints.
- Print cases will safely stored by AIPP until the live-judging event in March 2022.
- The online Judge Development Workshop Program will run as planned and scheduled.
- Online and, where safe to do so, in-person image and print critiques will continue during the entries open period.
Part Two: AIPP Awards Need Your Support
AIPP Awards provide so much more than Golds and Silvers – although those are wonderful achievements! The awards environment is a place for community, support, education, feedback, networking, professional-development, and friendship. Our members have suffered various hardships during the past 18 months of the coronavirus pandemic, including financial hardships. In this climate, we understand that awards entry may be difficult. Unfortunately, a minimum number of entries must be received for AIPP Awards to be financially viable and therefore run, otherwise the events must be cancelled.
We are asking you to support AIPP Awards by entering prints, books, albums and Alternative & Historical Process pieces and videos. Show your support for our beloved in-person awards and our image-making community with your entries. To protect all entrants, full refund of entry fees* will be provided in the event of cancellation due to lack of entries. This refund ‘safety net’ means that members can support the awards knowing their fees are protected.
Thank you to members who have contacted us with opinions and concerns about the timing of AIPP Awards events – we have carefully considered your feedback when making this decision. We want to run an exciting event that is open to everyone throughout Australia. We also want to protect our members’ health and safety, as well as the integrity of our events. Thank you for your understanding as we grapple with these important decisions and rest assured, we are continuing to work hard on the most exciting awards yet.
Any questions and feedback can be directed to email@example.com.
Les Morrison, Chair, AIPP National Board
Gary Cranitch, Chair, AIPP Awards Committee
* Full refund of entry fees, minus any postage costs incurred by AIPP to return print cases if required. Refunds will only be offered if the event is cancelled due to failure to meet minimum entry numbers. Refunds will not be offered for change of mind.